Video Assessment (Audition) Instructions:
Spring Semester (2020) FRHS Bands Auditions:
2019-2020 FRHS Bands Audition:
Please read the audition procedures and download the appropriate materials for your instrument.
If provided, students are encouraged to use the practice tracks on this page to help them prepare their auditions.
All current FRHS Band students must complete an audition for placement into 2020-2021 ensembles. Auditions will be submitted via video to Google Classroom no later than 3:00pm on Friday, January 31st, 2020. Please see the Band Directors if you need assistance submitting your audition.
Please contact Mrs. Muñoz to arrange a placement audition if you are a student coming from outside of our feeder area.
FRHS Bands Audition Requirements
- Play a major scale of your choice, 2 octaves with arpeggios, tongue up/slur down in the "scale pattern."
- Play both the lyrical and technical etude excerpts (highlighted in yellow) with a METRONOME to the best of your ability!
- The 2020-2021 Audition materials will be posted by the end of November.
- 2019-2020 Audition materials available here:
- Sample Recordings:
- Piccolo (in addition to the flute excerpts)
- Percy Grainger, Molly on the Shore (starting at minute 00:38)
- Richard Strauss, Serenade for WInds, Op. 7 (starting at minute 02:18)
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Konzert C-Dur Fur Oboe Und Orchester, KV 314, Mvmt. I (starting at minute 01:13)
- Cyrille Rose, 40 Studies for Clarinet, No. 23
- Camille Saint-Saens, Clarinette Sonate, Op. 167, Mvmt. I (starting at minute 00:38)
- Bass Clarinet
- Johann Sebastian Bach, Cello Suite No. 1, Gigue, Mvmt. VII (starting at minute 00:34)
- Carl Maria von Weber, Clarinet Concerto No. 1, Op. 73, Mvmt. II (starting at minute 08:14)
- Alto & Tenor Saxophone
- W. Ferling, Famous Studies for Oboe or Saxophone, No. 14
- Alexander Glazunov, Saxophone Concerto, Op. 109 (starting at minute 03:31)
- Baritone Saxophone
- Bass Trombone
- Arban's Complete Method for Tuba, Etude No. 28 (recording is of baritone, and could be more staccato.. reference for rhythm only)
- See Trombone excerpts above
- Arban's Complete Method for Tuba, Etude 19
- B. Marcello, Cello Sonata No. 1 in F Major, Mvmt. 1
FRHS Bands Audition Rubric